Pair of German faience bough pots, fluted form with flowers, c. 1780
Pair of German faience bough pots, of stylish D-shape fluted form with central ‘cord’ to the side, painted in polychrome with a flower wreath meander & scattered blooms. Marked CCC/K , for Hannoversch-Münden, Lower Saxony Circa 1780
restorations to rim, one with section of interior sieve overpainted but original, some small losses and cracking to glaze
18cm wide 13cm deep, 10cm high
Hannoversch-Münden is a rare German tinglaze maker, located in Lower Saxony. The bulk of their production seems to have been faience steins. The three crescents are the factory mark, taken from the arms of the proprietor Carl Friedrich von Hanstein, while the painter's mark K is for Karl Friedrich Krause, active between 1777 and 1786. In 1755 von Hanstein of Hannoversch-Münden obtained a concession for a "Porzellain Fabrique" with the exclusive production privilege for Münden and the surrounding area. This was granted by England's George II, elector of the region containing Hannoversch-Münden. There had been a pottery there for several decades already, and it survived until the early 19th century.