1851 Great Exhibition Mug, Hyde Park view for James Green, London
Souvenir porcelain mug, printed with a wide scene depicting the 1851 Great Exhibition building in Hyde Park, London, within an ornate cartouche including salmon enamel band, titled above & below ‘A view on the road from Hyde Park Corner, The Building for the Exhibition in 1851, The Works of Industry of all Nations’.
Marked to the base ‘ GREEN / LONDON’ and registration number & diampnd for 20 January 1851.
This mug was made in probably a Staffordshire factory, for James Green of 35-36 Upper Thames Street, who, prior to 1840, had been a partner of Bacchus, the Birmingham glass manufacturer. The diamond mark under the saucer indicates that the design was registered by Green on 20 January 1851. Such pieces were made as souvenirs to take back home from this sensational event. This example is unusual in having the band of salmon-coloured enamel, apparently also a part of the printing process used.