Australiana ship souvenir anchor letter opener, “SOUVENIR OF M.V.KANIMBLA”, mid-20th century
Souvenir letter opener the end shaped as a fouled anchor, with enamelled plaque inscribed “SOUVENIR OF M.V.KANIMBLA”
Back engraved “ANGUS & COOTE SYDNEY”
Mid 20th Century
M.V.KANIMBLA was built in 1935 in Ireland, it was commandeered for the war, and based in Hong Kong, returned to cruising in 1950 until 1960’s when it was sold to a Japanese company and was used till 1973
Angus & Coots were the large & popular Sydney department store, who had a vast range of goods custom-made for them with their mark. During & after WWII, they provided a lot of the various military awards, especially in enamel work. This cruise-ship souvenir would have been ordered from them and sold onboard.