Paris Porcelain plate, Duc d’Angouleme factory, circa 1790
Handsome plate from Duc d’Angouleme’s factory, decorated in the classical taste with flowery swags & a leafy meander, the well with scattered gilt flowerheads around a central rosette.
Duc d’Angouleme factory,
Red stencil mark:
de M/GR/ le Duc
restored rim chip & crack
ref. Guillebon ‘Paris Porcelain’ p127 for a group by Duc d’Angouleme with very similar decoration, c. 1790; mark is the same, No. 9 in her list of marks.
This manufactory was set up by Christophe Dihl and Antoine Guerhard in 1781; when restrictions were placed to limit general production of luxury porcelains in Paris – helping the King’s own Sevres works keep dominant – they sought the protection of the duc d’Angiviller, which made them exempt. They were very successful – rivalling Sevres itself in quality, and beating Sevres in sales in 1797-8! They used their own name from the later 1790’s, ‘Dihl et Guerhard’.